Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Very Full Day!

Over the last week, my childhood bestie, Sean, has been making tie dye t-shirt samples featuring the SKG logo and our team name on them.  He sent me a couple of cell phone pictures, but was really keeping his activities a bit of a secret from me.

When I told him that I was going to be down his way in San Diego for a SKG "Get Started Meeting" today and that I hoped we could meet up, he told me that he actually had a job up this way starting today!  What a coincidence!  What a bummer!

And although he was originally planning on driving out this morning, he ended up driving out last night so that he could get the shirts to me in time for my drive down to San Diego.  What a doll.

So here is how my morning went:  Up at 6:30.  Get ready.  Head over to Sean's parents' house to pick up the shirts, which he left on the porch for me.  Go home and go through shirts & other pieces--OVER 50 of them, ALL DIFFERENT!  Have the boys try them on and take pictures.  Choose some to take to Gina's chemo appointment today.  Take pictures of them.  Head to Orange County for chemo appointment.

I got to the clinic just after 9:00.  Before heading in, I walked over to Dolly's Donuts, which I will be doing EVERY chemo treatment, because they have delicious French crullers--very hard to find these days!  I got a dozen donuts to share with the chemo room people.  Who doesn't love donuts?

Today was Gina's husband Steven's first visit with her for chemo.  Gina has a port in her arm now (and still has a gnarly bruise from having recently had it put in), but apparently it still hurts to put the IV in.  Steven did not do well watching the nurse insert the needle into the port ;)

At the clinic store, where I was buying Seth a pink ribbon pin to wear at work, I asked the owner if she could tell me where she gets her merchandise, as I have been having a tough time finding pink ribbon products priced low enough to be able to re-sell them at a profit.  I'm so glad I asked, because the website she gave me has most of the things I want to buy for our fundraisers, and all at great prices!  Score!

After a few hours, I headed home to nap.  I left home for San Diego at 2:30.  I got there about 2 1/2 hours later.

The library where the meeting was held was DIRECTLY next to an Ikea, so I did a little shopping to kill some time since I was early. I found some really cool picture frames that will work great for signs at my fundraisers, and they were only 99 cents each!  Score again!

I also followed up with some fundraising contacts, and it looks like we're just about confirmed for 3 days of fundraising at Torrance Farmer's markets and also confirmed for a fundraiser at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse!!  Score, score!

Of course, all of the volunteers at the meeting were super cool.  The speaker was great, and was very welcoming.  The best part of the meeting, though, was meeting other walkers.  When the speaker asked for people to share their stories, I talked about Gina, and I cried.  I also agreed with the other walkers that while joining the walk started out being about giving to others, it had very quickly turned into ME feeling like I am getting so much out of it.  The kindness being shown to me because of what I am in turn trying to do for others is overwhelming.

By 7:45 pm, I was headed back home.  I was enjoying my music and dancing in the car so much that I actually missed the 405 split and ended up taking the 5 all the way to downtown LA!  Oh well.

When I got home, Seth got up to greet me and rub my feet :)  Oh, and my $10 per pair walking socks had arrived while I was gone.  Can't wait to try them.

Well, it's late.  Here are a few pics from this morning.  I will post more when I have more time.  It's been a long day, but I couldn't be more pleased with how it went!

XOXO
Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment