Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gifts from a Stranger

On the first training walk that I ever went on, I saw several cars with breast cancer related stickers on them.  I made a mental note to start carrying the fundraising business cards I made with me on my walks.  Yesterday, I did just that--and sure enough, about a quarter of a mile into my walk, I passed a home with a Susan G. Komen pink ribbon flag outside of the door.  I stopped, wrote a note on the back, simply stating that I was on a training walk and that I saw the flag, and left it on the porch.

Fast forward to today, and just as I am getting to work, I see the ever-exciting email "A donation has been made on your behalf" (it's just as exciting as the first time!), so I check the site to see who it's from.  I don't recognize the name, but for a fleeting second I wonder if it's the person who got my card.  More likely, though, it's a friend of Gina's that I don't know.  I sent an email thanking them for the donation and asking, "Are you a friend of Gina's?"  Then, I went to work.

As soon as I was done with my shift, I checked my email on my phone, and there was a response from the donor.  As I'm sure you have already guessed by now, it was the girl that lived behind that door!!  Her name is Kelly, and she walked in San Diego last year.  WOW.  Cool right?  She also mentioned that she had written me a note with her donation, and that I must have missed it.  Hmm, I thought, what note??

When I got home, I already knew the title of this post.  What I didn't know was that Kelly actually gave me two gifts today.  While searching for this note she said she sent with my donation (it's in an area of my "Participant Center" on the SKG website that I had never clicked on!), I discovered not only her note, but that almost every person that has donated so far had left me notes with their donations as well!  And as I sat there and clicked on each one, I cried and thanked heaven for Kelly!

Here are some excerpts:

FOR IRENE AND ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE SURVIVED. 


Good on ya! 


You're wonderful!!! Thanks for supporting Gina!
Love U 



Way to go you guys! What good friends you are. Good vibes to Gina


This is to support all the Tough Titty Woman who have touched my Life and who have fought this fight! 


Proud and lucky to have you in my life! You are an AMAZING friend! Always have and always will love you Lis!! 


Go get um Lisa. 


Thank you very much Lisa.
My wife and I appreciate very much for what you are doing for Gina, we are glad that Gina has such a good friend stands by her side and supporting her all the times.
Thanks again and take good care. 



Love to you for all you do! 


Lisa, What a blessing you are by your example and devotion. We are praying for you.


May God be with Gina and family throughout this difficult but winable journey.


Lisa thank you for being involved with the Komen for the cure. 


And finally, from Kelly:


Lisa, you left a card on my front door when you were out on a training walk - THANK YOU! I walked the San Diego 3 day last year - it rained the whole time!! But it was a fantastic, emotional and fun time. Congratulations to you for taking on this challenge!! I will be taking on the Boston 3-day next July. Take care! 


No, THANK YOU, Kelly!  


And to all of you who's notes I missed the first time, Thank You for your words of encouragement!  What a wonderful way to end the day!


Love,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment